Friday, January 7, 2011

Family update

I don't have anything earth shattering to share today, but I did want to let you know of some happenings with our family these days.

Toby earned an A in both of his classes last semester. While they weren't hugely academically challenging, they were a good warm up to get him back in the swing of school. This semester he will take his first master's class, Historical Theology, and an online Greek class from New Orleans Seminary. He is cramming, as we speak, for the GRE that he is scheduled to take tomorrow morning. In an ideal world, he would have taken this before being accepted into the Master's program, but the university graciously allows for a student to take up to two graduate courses before the scores are required. I am excited to have this item off of our to do list. I have no doubt that he will do beautifully, but it's been a rough trip back to high school grammar and math. Your prayers tomorrow morning would be much appreciated!

Also tomorrow morning we will begin potty training (again) with Haley. We gave it a go in August when we first moved to Mobile, but the move and potty training proved to be too much for her little world, so we gave up and headed back to diapers. I know this sounds silly, but I am petrified of this process! I know that she is ready since she will squat in the living room and announce, "I tee tee!" but still I have visions of her not getting it, peeing all over my house and forcing us to be home-bound for weeks on end. Ok, I know it's ridiculous, but that's where I am. Over the last few days, God has been speaking to me about being flexible and I think this has to fall into that category. I will have to accept that should my "three day potty training, straight-to-panties Plan A" fail, the world will not come to a screeching halt if she lives in pull-ups for a few weeks...right? Besides, I've been looking around at preschoolers for the past week and keep thinking, "He's not in diapers. This has been done before...it can be done!" I'm sure this is only one of many parenting hurdles that will intimidate me. Wish us luck!

Today begins the second trimester in expecting our second bundle of joy! We went in for a check up this afternoon and were thrilled to hear the heartbeat...a steady 160 beats per minute. It took our doctor a few minutes (literally) to find the heartbeat (causing a momentary panic attack for Toby and me), but eventually she found the little booger. She asked if I had felt him move yet because "this kid is all over the place!" That was just the question I needed to hear to convince me that those tiny flutters I've been feeling were indeed our little one. They are faint, but definitely there and now that I know it's not just my imagination, I'm noticing them a little more frequently. We will go back in four weeks for another check up and the all exciting anatomy scan where we will get to find out the sex! If you haven't already figured it out...I'm a planner...I MUST know the sex!

I love to read up on what's happening with this baby's development and am continuously amazed at God's incredible design. I didn't tell those little cells to do anything and yet they each knew exactly what to do! Some became a heart and others formed into lungs and still others knew that they were destined to become bones...all on their own. If this baby is a girl, she already has 2 million eggs, just waiting for her babies...that blows my mind! The most complex system known to man and it formed itself without anybody's help or guidance! And now, this 3" little person is nearly just like you and me. It can blink, move it's arms and legs, and squirm around. I am in awe of this amazing creation and humbled that God has again entrusted such a beautiful gift to our care. We have about six months to go until we get to meet this wonderful child...I can't wait to see that beautiful face!

Thank you for your prayers and words of encouragement as we move along on this journey. We'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment