Friday, May 4, 2012

A new normal

We've been in our new house for two months now and many people have asked us if we're settled yet.  I guess the answer is yes and no.  Nearly all of our boxes are unpacked and we are functioning "normally" but there is still much to be done.  For example, the bonus room is home to many of Haley's toys.  We've never had a bonus room before and therefore, we have no bonus room furniture...thus Haley's toys are scattered all over the floor with no place to be put away.  By the way, that's about to drive me nuts, so we'll be getting some bookshelves, at least, in the near future.

Toby is itching to hang pictures on every wall of the house.  Somehow I can't get him to realize that it's not quite that simple.  While I agree that having our art or photos on the walls would do wonders in making our space feel more homey, there are several steps ahead of hanging pictures.  For instance, our bedroom has been burgundy and gold for the eight years we've been married, and I'm ready for something different.  Which means a new bedspread and curtains.  Also our bedroom here is so much larger, so we are saving up for additional furniture like a seating area...all of which must be established before said pictures can be hung.

So anyway, in answer to your question about "are we settled yet?"...we're getting there.  Toby and I both still have days where we just walk around and laugh at our house.  It feels like we're living in somebody else's home, or at least some fancy hotel.  Not a day goes by that we don't look around in awe and amazement of the gift God has given us in this home. 


Another new aspect of "normal" is the addition of MiMi and Pop just 13 houses down.  Yes, that's right.  After they had their house on the market, on and off, for three years, my Jesus finally sold their house (in His timing) and moved them to my neighborhood!  I can see their front door from my driveway...it's amazing!  They've taken the kids while I do housework, I've dropped the littles off so I can browse the grocery store isles in peace, and we've eaten many meals at their table.  Having never lived in such close proximity to family, this is taking some time to get used to...I don't have to do everything on my own all the time!  I have help!  This is such a blessing and I'm loving every minute of it!

I would say that my biggest adjustment since the move has been managing my time.  As any stay at home mom of little ones will tell you, raising, feeding, educating, and caring for the little guys is a full time job that demands lots of attention.  Throw the household chores like laundry, shopping, cooking, cleaning, and bill paying on top and you've got your hands full.  So I've been juggling all of that for three years, but now I've got this big house to furnish also.  Unfortunately, my littles are not too crazy about running errands all over town in search of rugs, lamps and sofas...it's just not their thing.  So I had a bit of a break down a few weeks ago as I explained to Toby that I felt like I was treading water, just trying to keep things moving, even as the laundry was about to eat me alive.   As always, our God is so practical and He is helping me to find my balance.  I have several new goals.  Two of which are to make my kids belly laugh every day and to accomplish one thing each week toward the furnishing of the house.  So far, so good.  Decorating this house will be a marathon, but the dreaming, planning and bringing it to life is the fun part.  I'm thrilled to be able to turn this house into our home, even if it does take years to do it.

On my most overwhelming day a few weeks ago, I landed on a wonderful phone call from a friend, Tracy.  She has five teenagers, so I know that she knows exactly what I'm talking about.  She offered such wonderful advice, "You know, you've got to cut yourself some slack.  Once I feel like I've got my normal under control and we get in a rhythm, somebody goes and changes all the rules."  Every season and every stage will have it's own set of challenges and "normals," so I guess now is as good of a time as any to start rolling with the punches.

It's a good thing too because I know we've got another new normal just around the corner...

No comments:

Post a Comment