Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The goods just keep on comin'

"Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full--pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38

We've had an amazing week! In the past 24 hours we sold our little house and became the proud owners of our new home. As with anything my Jesus does, He has offered beautiful confirmation and blessing upon blessings.

We know, that we know that our little home in Saraland is going to the perfect couple, hand picked by my Abba. On Friday, January 27 our little house went live on MLS and on Saturday morning I went to Toby and said, "Something's going to happen today...4 o'clock." He didn't know what I was talking about. I said, "Something's going to happen today at 4. A showing. Elaine's going to call around lunchtime and tell us that she wants to show the house at 4." He shrugged, "Ok, we'll see." Well, 4 o'clock came and went and there was no showing. As we were climbing into bed, Toby said, "Well, I guess you were wrong about the 4 o'clock thing?" Totally confident, I replied, "Nope. Something significant happened today at 4. Just not sure yet what it was."

The next day, we met a sweet young couple in front of our house. We started chatting with them and instantly fell in love with them. It was one of those awesome "spirit recognizes spirit" type things. She loves my Jesus...I could tell by her eyes. With the excitement of a new bride she mentioned that they just got engaged the day before. A few weeks later Toby had a chance to chat with Ben and asked him an almost awkward question, "So you got engaged the day before we met you. About what time was that?" HA!! You guessed it..."I picked her up about 4 O'CLOCK for a date and I proposed around 5:30." I knew it! I love how my sweet Jesus gives us those little glimpses into his planning and scheming...confirmation to my heart that we are indeed smack in the middle of His will!

Yesterday we closed on the little house and I was given one more chance to hug Kristy's sweet neck and tell her how excited I am for her to have such a sweet house to start her marriage. I know Abba is going to bless them beyond measure. He has been preparing our home for them. The new stainless appliances, the beautiful marble shower in the master bathroom...those things weren't for us. They only went in six weeks ago. They were for Ben and Kristy! He loves us, all of us, so much!

Today we closed on our new, big house and God's sweet goodness continues to overflow. First, we had the funds wired from yesterday's closing to today's closing agent. I had run the numbers in the last few days based on good faith estimates and fully expected to bring another $500 or so to closing to cover the difference we needed to buy our new house. In search of the exact amount I needed to bring, I repeatedly called the mortgage company. I finally got an answer to my question. We didn't need to bring any money to closing. I had miscalculated and we were going home with a refund check!

While we were signing the mountain of papers in front of us, we came to the breakdown on our monthly mortgage payment. I had to do a double take. Our monthly payment was a full $100 less than what had been estimated! Toby and I sat down a few weeks ago and planned out our budget based on the higher number...this lower payment is just bonus!

And...when we came to an agreement on our contract a few weeks ago, we negotiated for the builder to add a fridge. (We had already agreed to leave our fridge in the little house for Ben and Kristy...another gift for them.) Not paying attention to detail, the builder offered to give us the standard fridge. Toby learned later that a bigger fridge was available for an additional $150. On a "side deal" we brought the builder's agent a check for $150 in exchange for him ordering the bigger fridge instead. Today's closing agent handed us our check back. I was confused as to how she got it and why she was giving it back to us. Basically, because we didn't include the "deal" in the contract, the additional $150 wasn't properly included in the sales price. Turns out the builder didn't feel like adjusting the sales price all the way through the paperwork for a measly $150, so they just gave it back to us. In essence, we got the bigger fridge for free. My sweet Jesus is so full of bonuses!

I did some quick number crunching tonight. I added up everything we'd "sunk" into the little house...purchase price, 3 rounds of renovations, and 3 years of mortgage payments on it when it was vacant. Wouldn't you know that God gave back all that we thought we had lost with the steal we got on our new house. If we were to build our exact house today, it would cost an arm and a leg more than we're having to pay. He does, indeed, restore all that was lost...and then some. Not only did He restore, but we're getting back more. More financially, and more of Him. We are entering the next season of our lives with more intimacy with Him and greater wisdom than what we would have had if we hadn't made the "mistake" of buying our little flip house back in 2007. "He works all things together for good..." Romans 8:28.

Haley and Jake

The fun part is, Toby and I are nothing special. We have simply decided to follow Him in all things and He has been faithful to pour out Himself and His blessings. He is no respecter of persons. He would love to do all of this for you. Do your dreams blow your mind? Are you believing for the impossible? If not, I'm going to challenge you to dream bigger! He is BIG and He wants to give BIG, so put yourself out there and prepare to receive!

"For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His." 2 Chronicles 16:9

Thank you Jesus for this amazing gift of our new home. Please help us to always remember that it is YOURS and to steward all of Your blessings well. Help us to never forget all that You have done and to never miss an opportunity to share Your goodness!

Haley and Jake enjoying the small things in life

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful re-telling of God's blessings to you! Thank you for sharing your joy in His goodness with us! God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete