Monday, June 20, 2011

Tomato Pie

Ok, so I'm not really a tomato person. I'm a bit picky about them. I don't want them on my sandwich or my burger...they make the bread soggy...eww. I don't care for them all on their own either. Gritty tomatoes are not appealing to me. But good, ripe, juicy summer tomatoes...I could eat my weight in those.

Anyway, a few summers ago I was introduced to this pie and HAD to figure it out. So I've tweaked with it for a while, and I think I'm about happy with it now. Thanks to some wonderful tomatoes from a friend's garden, we dished it up tonight and it was delicious! Let me know what you think!


*warning - measurements are approximate...I just eyeball it*

3-4 ripe tomatoes
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or Italian blend)
salt and pepper
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 tsp basil
3 oz real bacon bits
prepared pie crust (in the cookie dough section)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice tomatoes 1/4" to 1/2" thick and let sit between layers of paper towels for 30 minutes to drain juice. Spread pie crust out on greased pie pan. Spread 1/4 cup of shredded cheese over the bottom of the pie crust (this will help keep the tomato juice from getting your pie crust too soggy). Layer the tomatoes in the pie crust, spreading salt and pepper on each layer, mounding the tomatoes toward the middle. In a separate bowl combine mayo, sour cream, salt and pepper, garlic, onion, basil and bacon bits. Spread this mixture over the tomatoes, working it into the holes between tomato slices. Sprinkle the top generously with cheese and bake for 20 minutes. You may choose to then broil on low for a minute or two to brown the cheese. Let the pie sit for a few minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment