Friday, June 10, 2011

Peanut butter bars

More than a peanut butter cookie ever dreamed of being...quite possibly the world's most perfect dessert...

I may have mentioned before that this pregnancy has launched me into Martha Stewart mode, so when I noticed a friend's adventures in making homemade soft pretzels the other day, I had to check it out. She sent me the link to the website where she found the recipe and I've loved poking around.

A few days ago, I stumbled on her recipe for peanut butter honey bars and my mouth started watering. Since I've been instructed to consume 60 grams of protein a day in an effort to ward off preeclampsia, (Do you know how hard it is to eat 60 grams a day?!?) so I thought this might be a step in the right direction. My first batch was nearly as she instructed. They were wonderful, but I thought they could be better, so I did some tweeking on the second batch and Oh My Heavens...I'm gonna have to say mine are better than hers. These are incredible!!! Enjoy!

Peanut Butter bars
adapted from Heavenlyhomemakers

1/4 cup flour
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional, but very delicious)

Mix all ingredients well and pour into greased 8x8 pan. (Tip: Spray your measuring cup before measuring out the peanut butter and honey for easier clean up...I'm all about easier clean up.) Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely before slicing. Pour a glass of milk and force yourself to be nice and share with others!

No comments:

Post a Comment