Thursday, November 25, 2010

A day of thanksgiving

I am thankful that our country takes one day a year to focus on the endless blessings that abound here. I have been so encouraged to see nearly every Facebook status reflect a thankful heart this morning. All too often we (myself included) get so caught up in the craziness of life that we bypass all we have to be thankful for.

This year, I am thankful for a deeper relationship with my Jesus. He has pursued me and taken me to new places, and I know that I've only tasted the blessings He has prepared for those who love Him.

I am thankful for my precious Toby. Twelve years ago yesterday, November 24, Toby asked me to his house to play pool. We were juniors in high school and I was beside myself with excitement. The last twelve years have been a blast. We have grown up together and learned about life together. I have watched our jealous God turn an all-American teenage boy into a man after His own heart. It's been an incredible ride.

I am thankful for my beautiful Haley. After joining the mommy world, I learned just how many things can go wrong during pregnancy. The fact that Haley developed perfectly through pregnancy and has never been sick, to speak of, is something I will always treasure. She is growing and learning every day and each day she steals a little more of my heart...and to think, I didn't know there was more of me to give.

I am thankful for an abundance of family that loves us dearly. As an adult I have met others with family strains and distance. This thought is heart breaking. I am thankful that every branch of our family is peaceable...at least in corporate gatherings. :) Throughout the year and especially during the holidays, doors are always open and loved ones are only a phone call away. Although we are spread around the south and we don't see our family as often as we'd like, I will always be thankful for our loved ones.

I am thankful for the many friends God has put in our lives. In our six years of marriage, God has blessed us with friends who love us and love Him, friends who have challenged us to become better people and have encouraged us in our walk with Him. While our days in our new Mobile home have been fairly lonely, we have faith that He will again provide a new group of great friends.

I am thankful for our country. I will never understand the great sacrifice that so many families have made in order to make and keep our country the great place that it is. The wealth and financial bounty that floods this country is abundant. I am thankful for having everything I could possibly need. Never do I worry where my next meal will come from or whether or not I will be able to take a hot shower or turn on the lights...all things that are expected here, but great luxuries in many parts of our world.

I am thankful for all of you. While this is not something I would have ever started on my own (Jesus told me to do this) this blog has been a fun journey so far. I have been so blessed and encouraged to hear how our stories have touched you. This blog has seen hits from nearly every continent and I am constantly blown away that God is using our struggles and our triumphs for good in this world. Please feel free to share our stories and I always love to hear yours.

Let us make a daily habit of taking stock of the blessings that surround us and never take a single one for granted. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment