Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pancake breakfast

A rainy day was upon us, so Haley and I planned to spend it at home catching up on laundry, cleaning and paying bills. Ok, so Haley has mostly played with her little kitchen and watched Woody and Buzz, while I have worked today. The point is, I wasn't in the mood for the same old breakfast.

My mom makes the greatest pancakes on the planet and she always makes them for me when I'm in town. See...she cooks from the heart too, so I know I come by it naturally. She laughs at me when I praise her pancakes and insists it's just baking mix, milk and eggs..."It's so easy. You could do this." Well, for whatever reason, I am incapable of duplicating her pancakes, so I've quit trying. They're either too runny, too thick, they burn easily or don't cook evenly. When we're at home we do waffles and I let the world's greatest pancakes be a special treat. Anyway, this morning I decided to go at it from another angle and searched for a quick pancake recipe and whipped up a batch. Oh my, they were so yummy! I think it was the vanilla in the batter, but the list of ingredients way complicates them compared to mom's, but they were so good!
The recipe had a great tip that I will be utilizing in the near future...mix up the dry ingredients in advance and put it in a zip top bag so it's ready to go when you are. Kind of like buying those pre-made pancake mixes at the grocery store, only without the high price tag or preservatives. Since I wasn't sure of the yield, I went ahead and made the full recipe which gave me 13 beautiful pancakes. Obviously, Haley and I didn't put away 13 pancakes at breakfast, so I froze the leftovers and will pull them out a few at a time over the next few days. Again, kick the breakfast freezer isle to the curb.

Click here for the recipe. I added an extra 1/4 cup of flour because the batter was a little runny for my taste. Just to warn you, they're not as great as mom's, but they're a close enough second. Enjoy! (And just for the record, I think my picture looks way more yummy than theirs...I'm just sayin'.)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! We love pancakes, and they're even better when all you have to do is thaw them out! We usually double or triple our pancake and waffle batches so we can enjoy the frozen goodies in weeks to come. Rainy days are perfect for pancakes! You can actually mix dry ingredients for all kinds of baked goodies (we have a favorite all-purpose muffin recipe, for example) and label/freeze for future use.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete