Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Operation Cookie Dropoff - Phases 2 & 3

First of all, thank you for being my accountability. Having said out loud (well, typing...you get the idea) what God has asked me to do, really helps to motivate me in following through with this assignment. As I was spending time with Jesus this afternoon I thought about this task. A few years ago, knocking on some stranger's door and attempting to build a relationship from scratch, with nothing in common but a property line...that would have been incredibly intimidating. So I was pondering today, why is this so much easier now? The answer was simple...this wasn't my idea. My Jesus asked me to do this. And because this is His assignment, I know that He will work all things for good. I don't need to worry about impressing anyone or wondering what they think of me. All I need to do is bake cookies, knock on doors, and share His love with the people He brings in my path. It is now His opinion that matters to me and He wants to use my hands and my tongue to love on the people who live on my street. Who am I to deny them that love from my sweet Jesus?
So anyway, I watched my next door neighbor's driveway throughout the day and a truck stayed in the drive all day, so I figured someone was home. After Haley's nap, she and I walked next door with our cookies. We waited on the porch for a bit and when the front door finally opened, it was clear that I had just woken up this poor man. He explained that he was working nights and had been asleep. I felt terrible, but he was incredibly gracious about it and even tried to make me feel better by saying he needed to get up anyway. I had met his wife and daughter in May when we were in town for interviews and doing repair work on the house. This family seems sweet and I hope we have another opportunity to meet up in the next few weeks.

As we were eating dinner, I saw our neighbors across the street working feverishly in the front yard for what seemed like several hours. I wanted to drop by while they were outside, but didn't make it on account of dinner time and Haley's bath. But I still forged ahead and made another batch of cookies anyway. By the time I made it over there, they had migrated to the back yard. This neighbor has her daughter and grandson living with her. They were very warm and friendly and invited me to join them in the backyard. I spent about an hour talking with them about the neighborhood and the city happenings. Again, I was amazed at how much people are willing to share when they just have a listening ear available. The grandson is a year older than Haley, so I hope there will be common ground to build on there while we love on that whole family.

I also learned from this neighbor that the man who owned our house before us had a grown son living with him with a drug problem (not the first time we've received this report) and said they "tore up that house." Well, she's right...when we bought this house there were huge holes in nearly every wall and door. Again, a few years ago that information would have scared me, don't ask me why, but it would have been unsettling. Now, I know that my Jesus has redeemed this property! He has great plans for this home and will use this property over the next few years for His glory! It is our prayer that He post angels on the four corners of this property to protect it and that all who enter our front door will physically feel His thick and sweet presence. We want no guest to leave unchanged. So we praise Jesus for the redemptive work that He has already done with this house and I can't wait to see how He redeems the lives of those around us. Pouring out His love to my neighbors and testifying to His goodness is a task I am excited to take on and I can't wait to watch Him work miracles. The one common thread I've noticed so far is that my neighbors are nice people, but they are missing out on the beautiful blessings God wants to lavish on their lives. Not necessarily financial gifts, but invaluable things such as true peace and everlasting joy. He is good, all the time and I am honored to be trusted with this assignment. On that note, I have two more houses to meet. We'll see how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment