Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Operation Cookie Dropoff - Phase 1

Of course I started with the one neighbor we had already spoken with, but I still did it! My sweet, elderly next door neighbor was so excited to have the company. After pulling her garbage can back up to her house, I put Haley down for a nap and took my monitor and plate of cookies next door.

She is divorced and has four grown children, lots of grandchildren and even more great-grandchildren. All but one live within a 10 mile radius of her house. One of her granddaughters and her son were there when I came to visit. As Jesus would have it, she is about my age and her son is one year older than Haley. They were so sweet and welcoming to me. I visited with them for a few minutes before she ran off to do other things and then had a chance to chat with my neighbor for awhile. I am always amazed at how easy most conversations are. I've learned that the trick is to keep asking them questions about themself...most people are really comfortable talking about themselves and will often volunteer much more than you asked for. On occasion, they will return the questions, but not usually. And that's okay too. My sweet Jesus has taught me over the years to simply be a good listener...pay attention to the details they share, remember names, don't interrupt and take interest in what they have to say. This is such an easy way for me to show love to someone...new and old friends alike. Everybody likes to know that someone is interested in their life.

So that's one down. God gave me five houses to start with. I saw another set of neighbors out on their porch this afternoon and another checking her mail as we were leaving the house. Instead of my usual smile and wave, I forced myself to cross the street, shake her hand and introduce myself. I think that was a good start. So now, I have four more plates of cookies to deliver...

Who have you loved on this week? I'd love to hear!

p.s. I know my comments function is having issues, so if you're having a problem leaving a comment on this blog, you can comment on Facebook or send me an email at soakinginlife@gmail.com. Also, if you would like to be added to my email list to receive a notice when a new post is published you can email me that request as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment