Monday, December 20, 2010

Redeeming Santa

Now that we are parents and have reached the Christmas season, the question of Santa as come up again. Growing up, both Toby and I were fully engulfed in the magic of Santa and his flight around the world delivering presents. The thrill and anticipation was almost unbearable on Christmas Eve.

Now that it's our turn to set Christmas traditions for our family, we've discussed how we want to approach it. I assumed we would teach our children all about Santa, elves, the North Pole, and all the magic that Christmas entails. I was shocked the year Haley was born when Toby said, "I'm not sure about the whole Santa thing." What?!? "I just don't think I can lie to my kids like that." I thought the idea was ridiculous, but seeing as how Haley was four months old that Christmas, we decided it wasn't that big of a deal that year and so we swept it under the rug. This year, Haley is 2 and while she doesn't really get it, she understands that people are giving her presents and that is SO much fun! Again, we don't have to make the call this year, but we know next year is going to be a whole different ball game.

We recently stumbled on a article that perfectly articulates how we've been feeling...click here to read it. Did you read it? You really need to read it to understand where I'm going...go on...it's a short read.

So, now that you've read that article, what do you think? We love his point of distinguishing between pretend and dress up and lying. Just as there is nothing wrong with watching the story of Ariel, the make-believe mermaid princess, there is no harm in telling the stories of Santa. The jolly fellow our culture has created is pretend and it's a fun story to tell. We fear that the danger comes from selling this make-believe story as truth. As a parent, I would never want my children to lie to me, and as their example of Christ, I should not lie to them either. The more I've thought about this and prayed about it over the last few weeks, the more unsettled I become with telling my children a bold face lie. I just can't do it. But our entire country seems to embrace this lie! It's ingrained in our cultural make up. So now what do we do? I don't really want to be seen as one of those parents who sucks all the fun out of Christmas, but I'm not ok with going along with the fable.

Now, before you get all in a tissy...I am not saying we will not celebrate Christmas or participate in present exchanges or stuffing stockings. I simply want my children to reside in truth...related to all things. In this instance, St. Nicholas was a real person. He did wonderful, generous things and we should celebrate his life and the example he left for us. From that perspective, Santa is wonderfully giving and his generosity should be duplicated. However, we will not tell our children that the presents on Christmas morning magically appeared in the middle of the night from a jolly man who flew around the world with his reindeer. They will know that their family has provided these gifts for them out of their love for them, and honestly, I doubt that knowledge will diminish any of the fun of Christmas.

As I've pondered this whole Santa idea, I've thought a lot about how do we turn the focus from the presents and the busyness to Christ...the reason for celebrating in the first place. We have to admit that the glowing tree and abundant wrapped presents can easily take center stage this time of year. And while attending a Christmas program at church, reading the birth story from Luke and playing with the nativity scene are nice things to turn our attention to Him, they often get overshadowed by the glamour of the gifts. So, as I prayed over this, God gave me the neatest idea! On Christmas morning, before any presents are opened, we are going to give Jesus His presents first! "What present?" you ask...the present of ourselves. All He's ever asked for is our hearts, so we will take His birthday to commemorate all that we have given Him throughout the year. The idea is to start a few weeks before Christmas and gather pictures and remember times that we have served Him...with our time, our talents, our money, our love...and make a card or a book to show these gifts. In addition, I would like to remember and celebrate all of the gifts God has given us...from the basic necessities of life to miraculous answered prayers. I have visions of years to come of my kids working diligently on their gifts, and on Christmas morning, we will each (Toby and I included) share how God has loved others through us, how we have allowed Him to use our lives for His glory, and how He has given so generously to us throughout the past year.

"What if we get to Christmas and we don't have anything to share?" Toby asked. Well, I think that's where our responsibility as parents kicks in. We need to be aware, year round, of opportunities for our family to serve others. Whether it be serving dinner at a homeless shelter, sharing Christ with a neighbor, helping another kid on the playground, giving allowance money to the church or a friend in need, or simply spending time with each other and offering encouraging words. I recognize this will require a bit of organization...a handy camera to catch a loving moment, a notebook to jot down memorable conversation, and a journal to document God's guidance and answered prayers so that these events easily come to mind at the year's end.

At the end of the day, Toby and I have learned a valuable lesson in our two short years of parenting...every family has to do what is right for their family, and deserves to do so without enduring the judgment of others. This applies to all areas of parenting...from breastfeeding, to bed time routines, to discipline, to education choices, to Christmas celebrations. There are a million ways to raise a child in a loving, God-fearing home and we recognize that each child is different. In the vast majority of situations, there is no right or wrong way, no better or worse way. There's only the way that works best for each family. For us, we have decided to celebrate Christ's birth by giving Jesus our time and talents, by remembering a Godly man called St. Nick, and by exchanging a few (not a ridiculous pile) meaningful gifts. I hope you are intentional as well to develop Christmas traditions that will draw your family closer to the best gift of all...sweet Jesus!

Merry Christmas!!

2 comments:

  1. Carey-
    Great post and so glad to hear you guys are redeeming Santa too. Matthew and I had the same conversation when we got pregnant with Judah. I was, like Toby, against lieing. Mainly b/c I still remember vividly when my older sister told me the truth about Santa and how I sobbed on the floor of my closet for an hr before getting up the courage to go ask my mom what else I believed that was a lie. I didn't want that for Judah. I never wanted him to doubt us or more importantly, like you, said, Jesus.

    As time went on, Matthew got where I was coming from. We told Judah's grandparents last yr and it didn't go as well as we would have liked. They really wanted to do Santa with him. My siblings also got upset stating that, "if he ruins Santa for our kids we are gonna be really pissed at you guys." We have friends who don't know why we are doing what we are doing too. What we say is that we want Christ to be the reason for giving and receiving. We want to instill love and trust in our children and so we aren't going to lie to them even if the whole world doesn't understand.

    We too are excited about Christmas being fun and creating some new traditions in our little family centered around Christ and giving rather than Santa and getting. One thing we plan to do with Judah next yr (cause he's not quite old enough yet) is instead of writing a letter to Santa with all the stuff he wants, we are going to make a list of the people he loves and wants to show love to by giving them something. Another is that we are reading these two Christmas books by Crystal Bowman called "Jesus, Me, and My Christmas Tree" and "My Christmas Stocking: Filled with God's Love" every night leading up to Christmas. They are both so wonderful at including Christ into Christmas and give a great way to talk about Christ in regards to gifts, stockings, and the Christmas Tree to bring it all back home to Jesus. You should definitely check them out, if you haven't already.

    Miss you darling. Love your posts. Hope you guys have A Very Merry Christmas!

    ~Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendi - I love you so much! Thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement as I know we will face opposition. I will definately check out those books. Miss you guys much and hope you have a great Christmas!
    PS - loved your Christmas card!

    ReplyDelete