Saturday, October 9, 2010

Shrimpfest

One of my favorite things to do is check out local festivals. I love being outside, I love seeing the local art and creativity, and most importantly I love the food! Not long after we moved back to Mobile, I saw a billboard for Shrimpfest, so Toby and I planned a mini vacation to Gulf Shores to check it out. Yesterday afternoon we left Haley with my sister and headed south...
Carey and Toby at the beach, enjoying Shrimpfest.

We got there just in time to join the crowds for dinner, but of course we had to make a complete loop to take in our options before making any decisions. The offerings were ridiculous...crab cakes, fish, scallops, clams, conch, lobster...anything you could want on a stick - shrimp on a stick, chicken on a stick, gator on a stick...and to steal a line from Bubba, "fried shrimp, grilled shrimp, shrimp creole, popcorn shrimp, coconut shrimp, shrimp scampi" and the list goes on. There were also plenty of land lover options including pizza, hamburgers and gyros, but why would you go for that at Shrimpfest? I even tried the "2009 Best of the Fest" winner, the Creole Pistol...crab, crawfish, shrimp and cheese stuffed into a roll and fried...it was interesting, good bread, but too much cheese and not enough seafood for my taste. I guess you get the point...I like to eat! The Shrimpfest is still going on tomorrow (Sun, Oct 10) for any of you locals that haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
Nothing like a funnel cake and Wild Bill's root beer for breakfast!

My second favorite thing about local festivals is the art. I am always amazed at people's creativity. We saw tons of paintings, mostly beach scenes, but all were beautiful. There was one booth that had taken beer and wine bottles, melted them down into various objects like bowls and wind chimes...interesting and creative. Another booth boasted jewelry made out of glass bottles and another artist had made portraits on canvas out of beer bottle tops. Are we seeing a theme here? Despite the alcohol theme of several of my favorite vendors, the festival was very family friendly. There was a great kids play area and tons of children's clothing booths.

Last night we met a great mom and daughter duo selling classic handmade children's clothing. Their shop is called Sarah's Kids and they were the sweetest ladies. Their clothing was beautiful, simple, well made and reasonably priced. I'm not a frou frou kind of girl and therefore rarely dress my daughter in the traditional southern frocks. (For those of you outside the south, little girls here are expected to sport lace, smockings and tights on special occasions...all of which require delicate care and formal settings...neither are things that interest me.) Anyway, after seeing what Sarah's Kids had to offer, I decided I wanted to have cute Christmas pictures this year with Haley in a *gasp* dress. We found one we loved, but quickly ran into a snag. Haley is way tall and way skinny. Any dress that fits her enough not to fall off within two steps will leave her tiny booty hanging out the bottom. I asked one of the owners her opinion and she offered to alter a size 2 to fit around her skinny self. What a sweet offer! After further discussion, we concluded that Haley needed a 6-9 month size to fit her waist and a 3T to fit her long legs. The sweet owner said, "I tell you what, why don't I just cut you a new one?" What? "How much extra will that be?" "Nothing...I live in front of a sewing machine...it's no problem." What a sweet gift from my Jesus! Not only did we find a great Christmas dress for Haley, but we basically got a custom dress at a really great price! Their website is still under construction, so give them time to get some more pictures up, but moms, you've got to check them out!

All that being said, Toby and I really enjoyed our 24 hours away. We were able to relax and enjoy each other's company without any pressures or responsibilities hanging over our heads. My favorite part of the weekend...simply holding his hand and strolling the beach in the sunshine.
Toby brushing off the sand after our walk on the beach...and not so happy with me for snapping a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment