Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Haley's first beach trip

Growing up in Alabama, trips to the gulf coast were regular and expected every summer. The beautiful, white sandy beaches on Florida's panhandle are incomparable to anywhere else in the world...or so I'm told. Since we moved from Alabama when Haley was nine weeks old, beach trips got left behind in the move to Tennessee. Making a nine hour trip with a one year old just didn't seem that appealing. So, a bonus with moving back to south Alabama was taking Haley to the beach for the first time this Labor Day.

I should probably preface this experience with, "Carey is not a huge beach fan." Sure the beach is beautiful to look at and while I love playing in the water, I much prefer fresh water over salt. In addition to the sticky sand, salty water and biting critters, I think my aversion to the beach started when I was little...I must have been six or seven. Our family was walking on the beach in a big group and out of nowhere a seagull pooped on my head!! I was horrified, panicked and threw the biggest fit. Needless to say, I did not return to the sandy beaches the rest of the trip. I remember my sweet grandmother hanging back with me at the pool for hours on end when the rest of the family went down to play in the sand and the waves. Side note...my grandmother adores the beach, and this is the first time I've recognized what a great sacrifice that was for her...note to self, I need to say "thank you!"

Anyway, all this to say, Toby and I much prefer the lake over the beach, but given this was Haley's first experience we felt it was our responsible parental duty to "do the beach" properly. So on Saturday we trotted out toward the ocean...buckets, shovels and beach chairs in hand. Being moderately OCD about messes on her hands, I was apprehensive as to how this adventure would turn out. But we put on the happy, "isn't this the greatest thing ever?" face in hopes that she would have fun. At first she wasn't quite impressed and didn't understand all the messy sand. Then she warmed up to the "scoop and dump" idea...that was intriguing. Eventually she got okay with it and thought it was pretty neat...as long as she could sit on me.

I must say that my sweet Jesus gave us the most beautiful weekend to introduce Haley to this creation! The weather was perfect...beautiful, clear blue skies with a nice breeze and the water was clearer than I can ever remember. By the end of the weekend, we had all played in the sand, made sandcastles, a swam in the ocean. And truth be told, I actually had fun!! The sand wasn't so bad, the seaweed was not around, and I got pretty good at making sand turtles.

My favorite part of the weekend was watching Toby and Haley swimming in the ocean. We repeatedly told her to close her mouth as the waves came by, but each time she closed her eyes tight and opened her mouth as wide as she could. It was so cute and she lucked out that she never got a face full of salt water. As I sat in my beach chair watching my family swim and explore this new thing for the first time, I saw a mom and her two teenage daughters walk past, casually talking about life. It occurred to me that it won't be long until I'm in that boat...talking to Haley about boys and high school. So I spent the next 15 minutes locked in on my toddler...treasuring each moment of discovery. This is the greatest gift of being a mommy...introducing my baby girl to Jesus and this beautiful world that God made for us...showing her His creation and pointing every wonderful thing back to Him.

So here's to another step out of my comfort zone. It was a wonderful weekend that I will treasure always.

Haley showing me the "mess" of sand on her feet.


Totally trusting her daddy as he tosses her in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment