Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Jesus is alive...and He is so funny!

Recently I went back to Tennessee to visit friends for two weeks (more to come on my trip later) and I got to stay with my TN bestie and her family. I watched every day as they routinely went to bed at 9pm (a seeming impossibility at my house) and M got up around 5 every morning to spend time with our Jesus before the day got started. Now, I am fully aware that there are people out there that do this, but for some reason that had always seemed like a mythical idea to me...nice, but not practical. So when I got home, I committed to keeping up this early bedtime in hopes of rising before my family to spend time with my sweet Jesus. I knew I would need His help, because my sleep is one of my greatest treasures here on earth! Not much can tear me from my precious sleep.

Day 1 - The alarm went off at 6, Toby groggily asked why I set my alarm, I turned it off and went back to sleep. Nice start! After another few days I gave up on the alarm clock. However, I started waking up every morning before my family. Some days I would roll over and glance at the clock immediately, other days I would lay in that half awake state trying to figure out the time by the light coming in our room. Strangely, it would be 6:10 every morning. Regardless of how early or late I went to bed or how long a laid around, my first glance at the clock every morning would be at 6:10. I thought maybe my body has just gotten into a routine...I should really figure out how to break this. But deep down, I knew there was more to it than just a sleep schedule. Every time I woke before my family, I would think, Hmm I could get up and read...but I'm pregnant and need the rest...but I'll read during Haley's nap time...excuse, excuse, excuse....

So this morning, not having set my alarm, I rolled over and glanced at my clock. You guessed it...it was 6:10. Again, I felt Jesus pulling me to get out of the bed, so I asked, "Are you wanting me to read a verse...6:10 something?" Immediately, I heard "Proverbs." No way...I'm just groggy. So I rolled over in hopes of finding sleep again. After a few minutes my curiosity got to me so I pulled up the Bible app on my iPhone. I am so not kidding...this is what I read...

"How long will you lie down, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep? 'A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest.' " Proverbs 6:9-10

I couldn't help but laugh! My Jesus is sooo funny! And He knows just how to talk to me. Perhaps the poetic intention of this verse is referring to something else, but because the Bible is alive, today for me, this verse meant GET OUT OF THE BED!

So I worked up some strength, grabbed my Bible and my journal and headed to the living room. Toby hardly noticed my absence. I asked Jesus, Ok what's so important this morning? His sweet response was the exact sentence I've said to Toby a million times in the last 10 days...I just want you to be here with me. My heart melted. My Jesus loves me so much. Today He didn't have anything earth shattering to tell me, but some days He will...if I'm willing to spend time with Him and listen. Today He just wanted me to be with Him. He wanted to love me.

Jesus, you are so sweet and so good. Thank you for being a jealous God. You are jealous for my time and for my affections. You want me to pour myself into You because You know that Your presence is the very best thing You can give me. Thank you for pursuing me...over and over and over, even when I ignore you. Please help me to prioritize my days so that I can rise cheerfully and rested to spend sweet time with you in the coming days and weeks. All my heart...Carey

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Carey....so simple and yet so true....blessings on all your "Jesus Time" and all that He does in that time to bless you and love you well. It will be an investment with immeasurable return for you and all those around you! Love ya! Kim

    ReplyDelete